Monday, January 14, 2019

This Week's Lecture & Workshop

THE LECTURE - Wednesday 2 PM, J102 

The Lifestyle of the Freelance Animator 

and 

Distribution and Exhibition for Short Animated Films

Guest Speakers, James Caswell and Chris Walsh, Sheridan College


The Lecture is the first in our Business of Animation topic, with James Caswell and Chris Walsh offering complementary perspectives on life in animation.

Jim will present The Lifestyle of the Freelance Animator,  covering questions endemic to young people starting out in the animation business such as, "How much should I charge?" , "How do I manage my taxes?"  and also touching on issues of intellectual property.

Chris gives an alternative viewpoint, Get your films out into the world,  which opens up the discussion to issues of artistry vs. industry and ways to distribute your creative work.



THE WORKSHOP - Wednesday 4 PM, 4th Year Studio 

Workflow: Making Your Software Work Together

The workshop will be led by David Huyn,  Technical Director at Nelvana.


David brings a wealth of technical experience in Toonboom Harmony, Maya and other production software. If you're hitting a dead-end on a software problem, come to this workshop to pick David's brain for a possible solution. This workshop is especially valuable with the coming deadline for Milestone 2- Scene Workflow Test, and the requirement for Maya and Toonboom projects to be fully rigged and ready for animation.

David says:   "I've been in the industry for almost 9 years.  I started working for a small company working on a mobile app for about a year before starting at Nelvana as a general Technical Director (TD).  I've also taught at Max The Mutt for a few years as the final forth year instructor for 3D animation in Maya.  

My role at Nelvana was always changing because being a generalist meant I was flexible and I filled roles such as a modelling, rigging, minor animation, compositing, FX R&D and team lead, front end pipeline tool development.  These roles covered both 3D Maya productions as well as 2D Harmony productions where I've been the supervising TD.  

With the experiences I've come to have within the studio, I've also been requested to serve as a recruiter at school's industry nights. "




No comments:

Post a Comment